I love that an entire day is dedicated and set aside to women who raise us, comfort, nourish, protect, guide, support and teach us! I would love to honour this blog to that person in my life – My Mother. She is the most amazing woman that has dedicated her life to my brother and I – she is selfless, yet strong, she is the most beautiful woman I know.
Not only has she dedicated her life to me, but is still devoted her life to my brother, who is a 36 year old man and totally dependent on her still today, after suffering a very unfortunate brain injury caused by a motorcycle accident 21 years ago.
You would think that writing down your feelings and thoughts for the woman that bore and raised you would be so easily put into words, but truth be told, where do I start and where do I end.
A relationship with a mother is defined by that single person that does all to keep their children happy and to enable them to fulfill all their dreams. Some of you may relate that teenage years are often fraught, but mom over the years I watched you as my role model and mentor, and today I walk in the footsteps of you to be a good example to my own children and strive to be a leading model mom exactly like you.
You filled my days with rainbow light, fairytales and sweet dream nights. Always a tender kiss to wipe my tears, a gentle hug to erase my fears. I will always be grateful for your devoted love and unconditional care, for deep warm hugs and being there! I know that when you think of me, a part of you, you’ll always see.
You are the perfect blend of a mother and friend and so I send all my love and fondest love and wishes.. and so today I hope I set a trend to honor our beautiful mothers and all our love to them we send!
All my love, your daughter
My Top Mother’s Day Gifts:
1. HIGH TEA: At The Four Seasons Hotel (Jhb); The Mount Nelson Hotel (Cape Town); The Oyster Box (Durban).
2. SPA DAY: At The Saxon boutique hotel (Jhb); The 12 Apostles hotel spa (Cape Town); The spa at The Oyster box hotel (Durban).
3. LUNCH: At Clico (Jhb) -Pay R385 per person for a decadent Mother’s Day four-course menu. (There is also an optional wine pairing at an extra cost.) The dishes include butternut ravioli, mussel-and-basil risotto, chicken roulade with pearled barley, leeks and parsnip jus or lamb shoulder with pomme fondant, parsley croquette, almond cream and red wine jus. Dessert includes key-lime pie with lime, orange and chantilly cream. •Azure restaurant at The Twelve Apostles Hotel (Cape Town) – Celebrate Mother’s Day with a Tea by the Sea buffet for R310 per person, or enjoy a lavish lunch buffet with the family. The buffet costs R495 per adult and will include a wide selection of seafood, meats, salads, tempting desserts and more. The cost also includes live music and a surprise gift for mom at the end of the day. •9th Avenue BISTRO, (Durban, Morningside) Pay R325 per person for a three-course lunch menu. Highlights include duck crostillant with red onion jam and boerenkaas, wild boar hock terrine with piccalilli and confit egg yolk, braised beef brisket with mustard mash, and apple crumble or vanilla crème brûlée for dessert.
4. Beautiful Bunch of Fresh Flowers, spoil her with her favourite colors!
5. L’occitane products, woman love these!!
6. Beautiful candle, like Diptyque or Ralph Lauren, there are so many too choose from!
7. Voucher for her favorite read from Exclusive Books.
8. Her favourite perfume – you can’t go wrong!
9. Cooking class from Susan Greg (get details for various days on offer online)
10. Gorgeous costume jewelry from Kirsten Goss – stores available in Durban, Cape Town and Johannesburg.